Pledge to Open Science
I am convinced that some practices in science needs to change.
- I will not edit, review, or work for closed or hybrid access journals or conferences.
- I will publish only in open access journals or conferences; at least when I am the lead author.
- I will post pre-prints, when possible.
- I will promote open review principles.
- I will use open-source software, when possible; if not, I will favor license-free software.
- I will share code and other artifacts, when possible.
- I will share raw and curated data.
- I will promote the DORA principles, and in particular…
- I will use CRediT and publish a contributor’s record with all my research outputs.
- I will encourage professional societies to support open access.
- I will communicate about my research to the grand public.
- I will speak out about my choices.
- I will regularly and honestly assess my fulfillment to this pledge.
This pledge is available and citable with a DOI via OSF.
If I am going to “make it” in science, it has to be on terms I can live with.
– Erin McKiernan
The best thing to do with your data will be thought of by someone else.
– Rufus Pollock
Papers are not “the thing” that matters, they are just the advertisement for the thing.
– Ian M. Mitchell, rephrasing David Donoho